Stockport County 0 Torquay United 2

An excellent double strike from Martin Gritton gave Torquay United's season a real lift at Edgeley Park.

The frontman's brace handed the Gulls their first win of the season at the seventh attempt and left Stockport boss Sammy McIlroy down in the dumps after their miserable start to the League One campaign.

After just seven minutes Torquay went agonisingly close to opening the scoring when Steve Woods' long ball down the middle found Tony Bedeau and his hopeful header from the edge of the box was only just flicked on to the outside of the post by young County goalkeeper James Spencer.

Stockport offered little further in the early stages and with 14 minutes gone Bruno Meirelles tried his luck again for the Gulls, but saw his 25-yard shot whistle inches past the far post.

McIlroy's side created and spurned a couple of half-chances, but on 22 minutes the Gulls went agonisingly close again when skipper Craig Taylor's looping header from a corner was only cleared off the line by a desperate Lee Cartwright header.

Torquay finally got some reward on the half-hour mark Martin Gritton the man to profit from some static defending.

Jo Kuffour played a killer throughball and after Gritton had nodded the ball initially past Lee Mair and Spencer, the Torquay frontman was left only with an open net in which to roll the ball with ease.

Barely seconds after the break the Gulls had another chance to increase the lead when Kuffour saw a shot blocked, but just four minutes later Kuffour was tripped in the box by Mair, only for Spencer to brilliantly deny Woods from the spot.

That penalty miss blow stunned Torquay, but to their great credit they kept up the pressure and on 55 minutes Stuart Wardley looked on helplessly as his header rebounded back off the Stockport crossbar.

The home side responded with a close-range shot from Jon Daly which was smartly blocked by Lee Canoville, but that man Gritton superbly doubled the advantage on 58 minutes when he turned Danny Adams in style before shooting low into the corner past Spencer.

Gritton was having the time of his life and he soon came close to dream hat-trick, but after a mazy 50-yard run through the Stockport rearguard, his shot crept inches wide of the far post.