Torquay United 1 Tranmere Rovers 2

Canadian striker Iain Hume stretched Tranmere Rovers' unbeaten league run to nine games with two cleverly taken goals to secure a 2-1 win at Plainmoor which pushed struggling Torquay nearer to the bottom of the League One table.

The clock had been running less than two minutes when Hume acrobatically volleyed in left-back Gareth Roberts' diagonal cross.

And three minutes from time Hume popped up to head substitute Eugene Dadi's long right-wing cross in off the post.

Rovers have not lost in League One since they went down 0-1 at Peterborough on the opening day of the season, but they were forced to hang on grimly for long periods by a spirited Torquay side.

They were lucky to escape the big talking-point of the first half.

In the 15th minute Rovers 'keeper John Achterberg appeared to bring down Martin Gritton, who was clear at the time, just outside the box. Referee Trevor Parkes gave a penalty, but didn't even speak to Achterberg, let alone produce a card.

Torquay defender Steve Woods promptly blasted the penalty wide.

Tranmere always looked dangerous on the counter-attack in the first half with Hume and Congolese target man Calvin Zola a constant threat.

But Torquay deservedly equalised in the 55th minute through Alex Russell. Back after a six-week injury absence, Russell had outplayed former Republic of Ireland international Jason McAteer before he looped a spectacular overhead bicycle kick over Achterberg from 18 yards.

Former Torquay winger Paul Hall and defender Ian Goodison both went close, but Torquay looked the much likelier winners, with Tony Bedeau and Jo Kuffour both unlucky not to score, until Hume's winner left home fans screaming daylight robbery.

Even in stoppage-time, Woods and substitute Bayo Akinfenwa nearly snatched a late equaliser for Torquay, who are still waiting for their first home win of the season.

Tranmere march on and, even without suspended centre-half Michael Jackson, they have conceded only seven goals in their first ten matches.